Bots, Gold Spam, & Other 3rd Party Software

Budbud2828

Astellian
Nov 5, 2019
Best way to deal with afk farmers is by completing quests and kills you fill a 4-6 hour gauge.
Once gauge is fill that's 6 hours afk time maximum. Once that is started, it can be paused but cannot be re filled. It has to run empty before you can accumulate more time and that's 6 hours per day maximum.
As for botters I guess you could deal with them by sending a in-game quizz as such that asks you too complete a series of random keys.
Have GM In game for a few weeks to investigate report claims and go to locations and ban botters.
Gold sellers stop them at least creating silly names like "asdfgh" unlock character slots when previous character hits level 30 and increase delete to 24 hours.
Just some ideas not been online much to see how bad it's gotten since the nerf to dungeons, running 6 and getting the same astel starts to get boring what keeps you coming back is that excited feeling your get something new.
If your block list gets full, create another chat tab. Name it spam, in options select "all" in main tab deselect the "all"

Reactions: Gig and Pirylio

Wardance

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
Just curious if you're still trying to actually do anything about the gold spammers. It really seems like you've given up trying to do something about them.
Now we're getting multiple line garbage spams and it seems like it's accelerating how many different spammers there are.
One can only block so many times day after day before It just becomes ridiculous.

• Sad
Reactions: Pirylio

Wardance

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
It's one server and one chat for each of the regions right?. Doesn't that just require 2 people to be employed at one given time to monitor chat and ban gold sellers? Even one person can monitor 2 regions at once and simply ban them.
I need some light on how this isn't possible to setup. It's not like many other mmo's that have many different servers and would become more complicated to do.

Evo

Astellian
May 24, 2019
It's one server and one chat for each of the regions right?. Doesn't that just require 2 people to be employed at one given time to monitor chat and ban gold sellers? Even one person can monitor 2 regions at once and simply ban them.
I need some light on how this isn't possible to setup. It's not like many other mmo's that have many different servers and would become more complicated to do.
Actually it requires 3 people to be employed at least . 8 hour shift. 7 days a week, and we have 3 servers.
don't know if they can afford the extra expense. Dont think they can make much money from this non-P2W game. Compare with BDO, They are still adding new contents, they have enough money to keep developing . We cannot even handle the existing contents that KR server has.

There are not only gold spammers. Look at guild spammers, trolls and trash talkers All of them are annoying to me. Nobody can really handle this issue for us. we can just block whoever we dont want to see

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Oklmq

Quizzical

Astellian
Oct 13, 2019
Banning gold spammers and botters doesn't need to be a full time job. For gold spammers, you can log in, ban the obvious ones in two minutes, and log back out. Then go back to processing tickets or whatever. Come back an hour later and do it again. It does take several employees who work wildly different hours to cover all hours of the day, but they don't need to be full time game moderators, as opposed to someone who just hops in every now and then while mostly working some other job.

Botters are less obvious, as they aren't globally announced to everyone on the server. Even so, you can ask players in chat where the bots are at the moment, then go ban a bunch of them. You have to be careful not to ban real players who just happen to be near the bots, which can take watching a set of bots for a few minutes before you ban them. But still, just having a mod spend an hour on that once per day at a random time that varies by day would help a lot, even if there's no other anti-botting enforcement.

One problem is that if you accidentally ban a real player, they'll (quite appropriately) complain and appeal their ban. And to make it harder to identify the real gold spammers and botters, any of those that you ban will probably also complain and appeal their ban, insisting that they've done nothing wrong.

Trox

Astellian
May 24, 2019
Banning Gold Spammers is actually a bad thing (as has been pointed out repeatedly) since soon as you ban them their bot just fires up the next account to start spamming with. If everyone just blocks them then they will spam for hours and hours and hours and hours before next account is fired up. Just clear your block list every couple of days (easy to do when you are sitting around crafting or waiting for people to show up for HG daily runs or any other time when sitting idle) and you will never hit cap.

I log in block like 2-3 new spammers and then maybe 4-6 hours later have to block a couple more. If the GMs ban them even every hour then you will have to constantly block new ones and your block list will fill up immediately.

• Angry
Reactions: Oklmq

Ein1991

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
they really do thou seriously iw ouldnt mind the chat I can block them but my god the groups of bots killing everything are very irritating

• Sad

Ein1991

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
Banning gold spammers and botters doesn't need to be a full time job. For gold spammers, you can log in, ban the obvious ones in two minutes, and log back out. Then go back to processing tickets or whatever. Come back an hour later and do it again. It does take several employees who work wildly different hours to cover all hours of the day, but they don't need to be full time game moderators, as opposed to someone who just hops in every now and then while mostly working some other job.

Botters are less obvious, as they aren't globally announced to everyone on the server. Even so, you can ask players in chat where the bots are at the moment, then go ban a bunch of them. You have to be careful not to ban real players who just happen to be near the bots, which can take watching a set of bots for a few minutes before you ban them. But still, just having a mod spend an hour on that once per day at a random time that varies by day would help a lot, even if there's no other anti-botting enforcement.

One problem is that if you accidentally ban a real player, they'll (quite appropriately) complain and appeal their ban. And to make it harder to identify the real gold spammers and botters, any of those that you ban will probably also complain and appeal their ban, insisting that they've done nothing wrong.
if it shows up in chat or theyare seen multi botting in the world fields who cares if they appeal they are guilty obviously

• Angry

Ein1991

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
Banning Gold Spammers is actually a bad thing (as has been pointed out repeatedly) since soon as you ban them their bot just fires up the next account to start spamming with. If everyone just blocks them then they will spam for hours and hours and hours and hours before next account is fired up. Just clear your block list every couple of days (easy to do when you are sitting around crafting or waiting for people to show up for HG daily runs or any other time when sitting idle) and you will never hit cap.

I log in block like 2-3 new spammers and then maybe 4-6 hours later have to block a couple more. If the GMs ban them even every hour then you will have to constantly block new ones and your block list will fill up immediately.
you aren't very smart there is no way they are gona spend that kind of money after paying a certain amount and getting banned on every one fo the account its a loss not a gain for them

• Sad

Trox

Astellian
May 24, 2019
you aren't very smart there is no way they are gona spend that kind of money after paying a certain amount and getting banned on every one fo the account its a loss not a gain for them
You aren't that smart if you actually think they are paying with their money.

Ein1991

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
You aren't that smart if you actually think they are paying with their money.
well ff14 does a dang good job of getting rid of them might see one every other week or so and its not long before they are gone either there is a fix the company is just too lazy to do it

Trox

Astellian
May 24, 2019
this game is over run with them its horrible this is worse than release of bns
This is no where near what BnS had; BnS was so bad that soon as you blocked 1 4 more would spawn. Astellia you log in block 2-4 spammers and you won't see anymore until hours later. In a 7-8 hour period I may have to block 5-6; Blade and Soul you had to block that many every hour on a slow night.

Also on FFXIV whenever I log in I tend to have to block 3-4 during a play session, so they don't have it fully figured out either.

Khaos

Astellian
Oct 9, 2019
Not doing a very good Job of it. My block list stay's full and I can't block any more need to have a system in place that after 5 or 10 people report they get auto kicked. blocking us from reporting only every 5 minutes isn't going to cut it.

• Sad

Trox

Astellian
May 24, 2019
Not doing a very good Job of it. My block list stay's full and I can't block any more need to have a system in place that after 5 or 10 people report they get auto kicked. blocking us from reporting only every 5 minutes isn't going to cut it.
Every couple of days just clear out your block list since most of those on it are already banned/gone; my block list rarely has 20 names on it at any given moment.

Other games have tried that autokick/squealsh system and have always had to remove it because people suck (people were using it just to troll, and not for it's intended purpose). I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of those that abused the system was gold farmers just to get the average customer complaining to have it removed.

Quizzical

Astellian
Oct 13, 2019
if it shows up in chat or theyare seen multi botting in the world fields who cares if they appeal they are guilty obviously
Gold spammers are the relatively easier problem. Still, even when blocking gold spammers, it's not that hard to click on the wrong name in the chat. And there's also the possibility of a real player getting his account hacked.

Botters are harder. How do you distinguish between a group of bots farming in an area and an actual player trying to do a quest in exactly the spot that the bots are farming? If you sit and watch how the characters move, you can mostly tell the difference. But "mostly" isn't good enough for a permanent ban, as if you ban 100 bots and one real player, you goofed.

Bot activity patterns will be distinctive enough that if you track them for hours and log what they're doing, various statistics will really jump out at you in ways that would be difficult for real players to mimic even if they were trying to. That's the better way to ban bots, and may be what they did that caused so many bots and gold spammers to vanish (and be replaced by new bots that have to restart the leveling process) with yesterday's patch. But that takes a lot of programming support, and likely has to be redone every time the bots change their activity pattern.

Zellata

Astellian
Aug 3, 2019
And in the other news today farming bots have started forming expeditions (groups of more than 4) - Adison farm on NA server is overrun by them in all 4 channels.

• Angry