BOTS

Dark Magician

Astellian
Jun 20, 2019
Tons of archer bots farming the repeatable quests around gladeth plain area in the lentuth region. There's like 6 or so repeatable quests near by and there's bots farming them.

Kuronee

Astellian
Sep 20, 2019
For a minute I thought this was going to be someone complaining about me frantically running in circles collecting old jars and abandoned earthenware. :geek:

But yeah, I did see some multiboxer at one point. May have been a bot. It was stream of 3-4 units doing the same exact thing at the same time, moving from point to point in unison. For shame.

SaltySlippers

Astellian
Aug 4, 2019
Despite the B2P and the anti-bot system. Hopefully it's just question of how long it takes for the latter to kick in and boot them.

If it doesn’t work, then we may either be facing a serious bot problem and gold sellers spamming chat, or a more invading anti-bot system, and I for one would prefer to avoid that. Having it take pictures of your desktop and scan your HD for programs, record IP and location, as well as read keystrokes and mouse clicks, etc., and then upload everything to a server for someone to watch, is way over the top.

vio

Astellian
May 25, 2019
Despite the B2P and the anti-bot system. Hopefully it's just question of how long it takes for the latter to kick in and boot them.

If it doesn’t work, then we may either be facing a serious bot problem and gold sellers spamming chat, or a more invading anti-bot system, and I for one would prefer to avoid that. Having it take pictures of your desktop and scan your HD for programs, record IP and location, as well as read keystrokes and mouse clicks, etc., and then upload everything to a server for someone to watch, is way over the top.
Seeing this post made me want to dissect it. Firstly, hard drive scans of programs would force them to use google to identify programs, (FTK, IDA, Ghidra and sleuth autopsy) are just a couple of examples of applications that I have on my own computer which they may be clueless about, but would need to perform a search to identify what they are and what they do. and this is just an example taken from one machine. On top of that, there are a lot of programmers out there who have experience making their own applications to perform tasks on the computer to make it easier so identifying those applications may prove difficult for them to do. IP and Mac addresses can be changed at will and have been able to do so for a few years now so banning performed by those dont work as much as people like to think. As for Keyloggers, this is very invasive to say the least and can be identified as a potential data breach for those who alt tab to do other things besides playing, especially for those of you who have net cyber partners.

Zellata

Astellian
Aug 3, 2019
Seeing this post made me want to dissect it. Firstly, hard drive scans of programs would force them to use google to identify programs, (FTK, IDA, Ghidra and sleuth autopsy) are just a couple of examples of applications that I have on my own computer which they may be clueless about, but would need to perform a search to identify what they are and what they do. and this is just an example taken from one machine. On top of that, there are a lot of programmers out there who have experience making their own applications to perform tasks on the computer to make it easier so identifying those applications may prove difficult for them to do. IP and Mac addresses can be changed at will and have been able to do so for a few years now so banning performed by those dont work as much as people like to think. As for Keyloggers, this is very invasive to say the least and can be identified as a potential data breach for those who alt tab to do other things besides playing, especially for those of you who have net cyber partners.
A shorter version would be that anti-bot (or anti-cheat) software of this kind is largely ineffective and in some cases illegal (i.e. keyloggers). Pretty much the only automated way to detect bots revolves around searching for a pattern.

vio

Astellian
May 25, 2019
A shorter version would be that anti-bot (or anti-cheat) software of this kind is largely ineffective and in some cases illegal (i.e. keyloggers). Pretty much the only automated way to detect bots revolves around searching for a pattern.
I wouldn't say keyloggers are illegal, its just that most of the time they are misused for illegal gains. They are a perfectly valid tool to use especially in businesses to monitor the performance of your workers and identify those who use business resources for personal use. In addition to this it could be used to monitor your partner when you suspect them of cheating.

Zellata

Astellian
Aug 3, 2019
I wouldn't say keyloggers are illegal, its just that most of the time they are misused for illegal gains. They are a perfectly valid tool to use especially in businesses to monitor the performance of your workers and identify those who use business resources for personal use. In addition to this it could be used to monitor your partner when you suspect them of cheating.
Difference is that in those cases you install keylogger on your own machine. In case of games, developer (company) doesn't own players' rigs. While business can install whatever they want on their own hardware, them doing it on someone else's hardware is illegal as heck.

vio

Astellian
May 25, 2019
Difference is that in those cases you install keylogger on your own machine. In case of games, developer (company) doesn't own players' rigs. While business can install whatever they want on their own hardware, them doing it on someone else's hardware is illegal as heck.
they can bypass that if the player gives permission, like the EULA could be worded to include it and the player has to agree to it. Only downfall is that not many players read that as you are aware.

Zellata

Astellian
Aug 3, 2019
they can bypass that if the player gives permission, like the EULA could be worded to include it and the player has to agree to it. Only downfall is that not many players read that as you are aware.
As far as I know (not a lawyer and it most likely depends on jurisdiction), permission for things like that has to be very explicitly stated.

SaltySlippers

Astellian
Aug 4, 2019
There's no "IF they do it this way, it would be very ineffective", because they are doing it. Ineffective or not against bots, it a great way of data mining. Collect all info from a user’s computer, take pictures of what they're doing on their desktop, including when the game doesn't have focus and even use their webcam to take pictures of the user (among other things), take note of their whereabouts, and then send everything to a server.

You can change your IP and have been able to for at least 25 years, but the IP is used for more than just ban players. It's a clear indication of where people are in the world, down to the very city they're living in. It's possible to get further info on exact address, but only through legal means.

It may sound excessive and like a fantasy, but these invasive programs do exist and are highly illegal. 20 years ago, companies were fined millions if they did it, but today no one cares enough to do something about it, as everyone does it.

Uncheater, as this game uses, uses machine learning to analyze keystrokes and mouse click, and takes notes of which programs are running. The data is send to a server for further analysis. If a program is identified as one that automates various aspects, such as keystrokes and mouse clicks, it will be remembered and used for comparison when analyzing potential upgrades. So, it will still be the same program, even if a programmer changes its behavior.

But, there's no perfect way to combat it, as one could just rearrange the code, change a few things and compile it as new program. Do this frequently enough, and even with a very good AI it can be difficult to recognize a bot program. It's literally a never ending tug-of-war between two parties.

And, we now have our first gold spammer in EU. $4.50 for 100k asper. I’m glad we don’t have emote icons of animated bunnies, unicorns and whatnot flooding chat, in this game.

Ashlynmae

Astellian
Sep 18, 2019
Saw a bot for the first time today and was shocked. It was a triplet of one character. Why is this allowed! So distracting from the fun in the game.

Miiksu

Astellian
May 26, 2019
I saw today also bots and too many. I hope they will handle all the haters, bugs and bots. I only bought 30 day sub and that was a good decision to me to see where this goes.

Ein1991

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
its easy ban the accounts of anybody who is seen botting or trying to sell currency they can track what you do or say in chat if you get caught doing should be banned and made to buy the game again my opinion

Arianna

Astellian
Jun 17, 2019
And this is the reason a lot of us do NOT want the game to go f2p. =p Honestly as a developer i'd have 1-2 people sitting around handling these reports and manually checking out the characters in game. You only need to ban a handful an hour at 9.99 each to pay for that employee! ^_^

Titan793

Astellian
Sep 10, 2019
I haven't seen any bots yet (I'm sure that will change), but I did see a gold seller shouting/spamming chat the other day. I just report all of these users, and hope that eventually that helps the dev team track them down (and remove them).

Trox

Astellian
May 24, 2019
And this is the reason a lot of us do NOT want the game to go f2p. =p Honestly as a developer i'd have 1-2 people sitting around handling these reports and manually checking out the characters in game. You only need to ban a handful an hour at 9.99 each to pay for that employee! ^_^
Except the gold farmers use stolen credit card numbers to "pay" for these accounts, and what usually happens is the actual owner finds the charge and does a charge back for fraudulent purchase. You now have to pay for that employee out of your pocket since all those banned accounts really didn't generate any income for you.

Arianna

Astellian
Jun 17, 2019
Except the gold farmers use stolen credit card numbers to "pay" for these accounts, and what usually happens is the actual owner finds the charge and does a charge back for fraudulent purchase. You now have to pay for that employee out of your pocket since all those banned accounts really didn't generate any income for you.
While that may be true for a lot of them. Several tend to be more legitimate. That's why they tend to flood the market when it's f2p vs having to buy an account. Less risk as CCard fraud is a crime in pretty much every country. Not having access to the numbers we can only make a guess. Either way killing the bots will keep your playerbase happier and more likely to spend money!