Help with Mage?

Zentraxius

Astellian
Apr 25, 2020
Posting here bc mage forum is a graveyard. My wizard is up to 5* now and I still feel like I do horrible damage, less than scholar/assassin/archer single target. Is there anyone who can chime in with advice on rotations/etc? I don't know what else to do, my gear is far from perfect but I didn't think it was *that* bad other than CON.

https://imgur.com/a/X2Ca1Li mage stats for those interested

• Haha
Reactions: Alli and Oklmq

PlayingMyLastMMOs

Astellian
Sep 24, 2019
Posting here bc mage forum is a graveyard. My wizard is up to 5* now and I still feel like I do horrible damage, less than scholar/assassin/archer single target. Is there anyone who can chime in with advice on rotations/etc? I don't know what else to do, my gear is far from perfect but I didn't think it was *that* bad other than CON.

Nah, I guess mage simply need a buff. Add: we need adult mage to attract more people play this chart.

But, forget about it: looks like another - 999 IQ move by Devs is incoming, mages be ready

Last edited:
Reactions: Oklmq

vegasvermont

Astellian
Apr 14, 2020
Your kidding right ... aoe gods, and right behind "barely" Archer and Assassin single target ..... seriously?

Darkey

Astellian
Mar 23, 2020
I could imagine it is just your feeling and everything is actually fine - there is no dmg-meter in this game, so its really difficult to evaluate your dps = as I can see, you are increasing correct stats = crit rate and crit dmg. As you said your armor is not perfect yet, so you will get better by normal gear up progress.

Gear:
If you have some magic accuracy runes or treasures (I speculate, because you have a high +value there) -> you coud use crit (rate+dmg) runes/treasures more. Same with magic attack runes/treasures -> I would advice to set everything on crit (rate + dmg), if you really feeling your have to do more dmg.
Skills:
- use your dmg buff and fire-skills-buff as often as possible
- try to use most powerfull skills while dmg buff is running
- try to use every skill, not just spam fireball all the time, because nearly everything is stronger than fireball
- don't be afraid of using long cooldown skills - some people are waiting for a correct moment much longer than skill cooldowns are
Mage in general:
Mage have absolutely enought dmg at all, but it is ok if mage is doing a bit less single target dmg as equally geared assasin or archer -> assasin is a close range, so he can't make dmg 100% of the time for ex. if target is running or unreachable by range. Assasins also have less aoe dmg. Archer has less strong aoe and less cc as mage. Damage dealer classes do not have to do absolute equal amount of dmg - every class has own strong and weak sides. The strengths of mages are aoe, cc and very important in pve and pvp: short time burst-dmg.

Zentraxius

Astellian
Apr 25, 2020
I know I'm going to lose single target dps to assassin and probably archer most of the time, but losing to a scholar is where I get concerned that I'm not doing things properly.

I typically use burns off cooldown to mantain the 3 stacks of burn, flame burst off cooldown, surging flame off cooldown, I try to meteor with buff up, I delay surging flame for buff if it's within 10s or so, I don't.. really ever use inferno. I use lightning bolt fairly often when dodging or moving, and I use burning increase basically off cooldown to shoot out fireballs/flame bursts as fast as possible, I don't really use any ice skills on bosses except to cc adds.

Yet.. several scholars can kill and burst down adds before I can get more than 1-2 skills off, and they seem to do this just indefinitely, I feel unneeded for anything other than aoe and CC, am I doing something wrong, just not geared enough yet, or am I grouping with some spooky healers?

Darkey

Astellian
Mar 23, 2020
I don't really use any ice skills on bosses except to cc adds.
Ice spear and crescendo are strong skills too, so I would advise to use them on bosses also.

Yet.. several scholars can kill and burst down adds before I can get more than 1-2 skills off, and they seem to do this just indefinitely, I feel unneeded for anything other than aoe and CC, am I doing something wrong, just not geared enough yet, or am I grouping with some spooky healers?
Scholars are not just healer, scholars can also get some gear with crit dmg/rate and make a lot of dmg. They have few strong fast cast time(<1sec) skills with a lot of dmg(500-700 attack), thatswhy they can do burst dmg for some seconds. But thought skills also have cooldowns like 12-22 sec, so it is absolutely possible that scholar kills an add faster than you, if your fast skills are in cooldown, but you will do more dmg on bosses as mage, if you look at the whole time. Or to say it in other way - sometimes a scholar can kill 1-2 single targets faster than mage, but if there where 10 single targets, he has not enought skills to burst for so long time and if the targets can be killed by aoe, you will be faster no matter what.
And the question is - are this scholars equally geared as you?