Poor Targeting mechanics needs addressing

Wardance

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
This game has the worst targeting system I've used in any MMO. Auto-targeting with Tab often has a non logical result. Also if I attempt to click via mouse often one has to click a few times on a mob to get it to register. Even if it does manage to highlight a mob selected either of these ways, it often deselects for absolutely no reason at all resulting in some not so nice words from my mouth.

Senario: Soloing through Lagash, I have a rat agro me and then a gargole with 2 little rats. I press tab it select one of the little rats. If I continue with my aoe freezing and nuking it'll not be pretty as the little rat will have died quickly and then I need another of the targets for my next spell of choice to actually fire. In what logical sense would the game select for me pressing the ol' faithful* tab to select an Earth totem at my 160 degree angle off my view of sight!
This is one of hundreds of sad events during my time with Astellia.

The last 2 days it's really been hard coming back into the game after also playing AAU where the targeting simply...works. I've played pretty much every MMO since eq1 '99 and I'm sure many of us have. I don't recall any of them leaving me this puzzled and annoyed over targeting.

If I have a couple of mobs on me, the mob I have selected is about to die which would result in my spell not working by the time it goes off due to that mob being dead but the others being very much alive, The last thing I want when I press Tab to hopefully select a mob with more health points, is it selecting a FRESH new mob off far behind me off my view of reference to also bring it into the mix.
There's an option within targeting 'Only Auto target engaged enemies'. YES, this would be a nice thing, but it simply is broken, it does not! work. Nor does angle front option.

I seriously hope you know of this issue and you're doing something about it. It's such a great game with so much potential for the future but, If the targeting system remains how it is for too much longer I and perhaps others with fade away from the game and find something else.

Killuelihie

Astellian
Oct 11, 2019
Lvl50 Nightblade 5* / Lvl50 Wizard 3* and oldtimer since the old days too.
Can‘t agree.
If there are many mobs it can get a bit fuzzy as there seems to be no real logic behind the targetselection but i never encountered problems with clicking multiple times to get a mob selected so far.
Especially for the mage just using the aoe skills, even if the mob before dies works fine as the game automatically selects one if you use a skill.

And never encountered a deselection after i targeted a mob.
You sure that the problem doesnt originate from hardware and or humanware?

Reactions: Ryan

BecReed

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
I came to the forums for this reason. There's something dodgy about the way the game targets. Have had all this happen to me as well and found myself frustrated. A lot in my guild speak out about it too.
Especially the game selecting mobs that I am not engaged with and choosing mobs far away behind me as well.
It would be good if it's on their list of things to look into.

Reactions: CM Venecia

Brakiros

Astellian
Oct 1, 2019
Yeah i've noticed that this game has very unusual targeting, I press tab and it targets something behind me that's also behind other mobs, it has worse tab targeting then WoW

Callie Swag

Astellian
Sep 4, 2019
yup pisses me off so much. i am 1 v1 with a clan mate or solo in hunting grounds and i press tab to target what is running at me or hitting me, and the game thinks i wanted to pull more mobs almost out of sight. lost a few fights cause my guy does a 180 to attack a mob no where near me as i am getting a cavidy search from a assassin.

Playtil

Astellian
Sep 26, 2019
there is options for tab targetting.

I dont remember, you choose tab target in line of sight or tab target the cloosest mob?

I find it pretty accurate. If i choose the wrong mob, it's always because my aim is bad :cautious:

BecReed

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
Our guild was talking about this today in vc and all pretty much agreed in one way or another that there's something really off with the targeting. Although all didn't really have any issues with mobs deselecting except 2. both were from overseas. One Australia and the other in Indonesia. They thought it had something to do with the ping as the Indonesian said he had to really train himself on how he pressed tab and mouse button on mobs. Often a quick tap like he is used to with other MMOs would result in a quick show that the mob was selected and then it quickly deselected. He said he had to firmly and hold for abit slightly before letting go and then he was fine.
All had wild stories of mobs being selected far off and nothing to do with the current battle thou.

Wardance

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
Our guild was talking about this today in vc and all pretty much agreed in one way or another that there's something really off with the targeting. Although all didn't really have any issues with mobs deselecting except 2. both were from overseas. One Australia and the other in Indonesia. They thought it had something to do with the ping as the Indonesian said he had to really train himself on how he pressed tab and mouse button on mobs. Often a quick tap like he is used to with other MMOs would result in a quick show that the mob was selected and then it quickly deselected. He said he had to firmly and hold for abit slightly before letting go and then he was fine.
All had wild stories of mobs being selected far off and nothing to do with the current battle thou.
Heh, you're right with this. I played around with Tab target and mouse clicks and it made a difference. I live in Australia so yes, ping certantly effects me.
If I quickly click the tab, I see it select and then de-select the mob/s. If I held it down for a tad too long, it de selected. There's a goldilocks zone with the timing that I'm kinda getting better at after reading your post.
It's weird and really shouldn't be like this I'm sure but, I can I guess get used to this for now.

Brakiros

Astellian
Oct 1, 2019
Heh, you're right with this. I played around with Tab target and mouse clicks and it made a difference. I live in Australia so yes, ping certantly effects me.
If I quickly click the tab, I see it select and then de-select the mob/s. If I held it down for a tad too long, it de selected. There's a goldilocks zone with the timing that I'm kinda getting better at after reading your post.
It's weird and really shouldn't be like this I'm sure but, I can I guess get used to this for now.
It's an Asian MMO which means the game isn't coded with broad ms in mind. They're typically coded within a 10ms response delay, NCSoft had to recode combat input performance for Blade & Soul because it was coded for a less then 10ms response delay as their response times were around an average of 5ms or so.

Cookie

Astellian
Oct 18, 2019
Yep! I live over seas as well and this is also the case for me.
Brakiros, what you say makes perfect sense. I was trying to remember which of the mmo's in the past I played that felt like this and it was B&S. Think they ended up addressing it and fixing it.... or I just got used to it....

+1 for the outofyourvulcanmind selecting of mobs far off in the unknown galaxy while engadged on local Klingons.

Cookie

Astellian
Oct 18, 2019
"Only Auto target Engaged Enemies on/off"
So this means it'll automatically switch to another engaged mob right when one dies right? But if I press tab to cycle to another mob it may (and often does) select a mob far off the distance rather than one within the engaged mobs.

Can we at least get another option where I can press tab and only cycle within engaged mobs? so hopefully it'll switch to a mob that almost isn't about to die so the spell I'm casting does..... nothing at all by the time it casts due to the mob being already dead... rather than all of a sudden, see a mob start running far off in the distance at me and then realise that my tab for some weird reason thinks I wanted him?
It's getting really tiring.

Wardance

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
"Only Auto target Engaged Enemies on/off"
So this means it'll automatically switch to another engaged mob right when one dies right? But if I press tab to cycle to another mob it may (and often does) select a mob far off the distance rather than one within the engaged mobs.

Can we at least get another option where I can press tab and only cycle within engaged mobs? so hopefully it'll switch to a mob that almost isn't about to die so the spell I'm casting does..... nothing at all by the time it casts due to the mob being already dead... rather than all of a sudden, see a mob start running far off in the distance at me and then realise that my tab for some weird reason thinks I wanted him?
It's getting really tiring.
This as well is my biggest problem with the targeting issues. The others I've learn to deal with for now. Seems ping reduction software has made it slightly more bearable but not the targeting outside of engaged mob problem.

Playtil

Astellian
Sep 26, 2019
Nop
Auto-targetting is for skill.
Tab-targetting is a manual targetting system
You dont need to use tab for the auto-targetting engaged ennemies.
Just use your skill.

The tab targetting is a complete different thing...
If you use tab, the auto targetting engaged enemies wont work.

I dont know if i'm clear. Sorry for my english..

And if you target a mob far away, watch you angle when you tab target. It's precise. Your aim determine what the tab target will select.

thewisefool

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
I am LoLing inside because I know how annoying this is...I have the same experience. It targets a mob far off into the distance and being a melee it runs to that target while my astel stays on the main mob. I press TAB again and it sometimes STAYS on that target!

Reactions: Pirylio

Zwiebel

Astellian
Jul 4, 2019
The targeting issues can be easily resolved by implementing an action mode like in Ascent: Infinite Realm:
Pressing Ctrl locks your view to the mouse cursor and any target below the crosshair gets automaticly tabbed to emulate aimed combat.

It worked surprisingly well in A:IR.

Reactions: Oklmq

thewisefool

Astellian
Sep 27, 2019
Yeah i've noticed that this game has very unusual targeting, I press tab and it targets something behind me that's also behind other mobs, it has worse tab targeting then WoW
TAB targeting in WoW is superior to this.
The majority of the time you TAB and there are multiple targets it DOES NOT switch! LoL!

Brakiros

Astellian
Oct 1, 2019
TAB targeting in WoW is superior to this.
The majority of the time you TAB and there are multiple targets it DOES NOT switch! LoL!
Yeah that happens when i'm trying to tank i'm pressing tab and it's still trying to make me run back to something behind me it's stupid, it makes me click onto a target to change it.

Reactions: Syncronis

SaintKnight

Astellian
Oct 18, 2019
Hello, i just wanted to push up this old Topic a little, since there has been no responce from officials or clearly no changes made to the Targeting System.
This game has the worst targeting system I've used in any MMO
I can only agree with this Point. From any MMO i´ve played so far, Astellia has by far the worst Targeting System.
The most annoying Part comes in Dungeons f.e. if the Tank pulls some Mobs and i want to join in as Archer i´ve do almost every Time manualy click on a Monster to avoid attacking others that are far behind these or even out of Sight.
Not only the Part with targeting something that is clearly out of Sight/Range is very frustrating to deal with, but i would also like some more Options to change Targeting System, personalizing the Playstyle and Class it functions.
As far as i can tell the Game prioritices Targets that are not attacked by any Party Members, after this the Target with the most Health.
This is NOT what i want and i can´t change it in any Way....
This "Auto" Targeting is really annoying and it´s hard to deal with and no it doesn´t help if you set the Auto Target when Using Targeted Skills to off.
I´ve also set the Tab Targeting Priority to Angle (Front) but it´s still targeting Monsters in Distance.
Besides targeting Problems that all Classes seem to have, there are some more for the Archer Class.
When i use Strong Bow followed by Triple Arrow, for some Reasons i have to retarget (by Auto clicking most likely), even when i already had a Target.
After usage of Incendiary Arrow or Sand mine you have to readjust your Target as well, which would be ok because these Skills are basicly AOE Fields, but it makes no Sense at all that if i press TAB the Game targets Monsters that are NOT in the AOE, even worse not even in the Fight, sometimes my Char trys to target Monsters well out of Sight and running towards it, making it even harder to cast the Combo Skill correctly.
It´s also annoying that Burst Arrow (which is a three Way AOE Attack) stops Shooting if the targeted Mob dies, shouldn´t the Game automaticly swap to the next Target and keep the Skill fireing?
Well i can see the coincistants with this one, but on the other Hand Volley and Raven Shot keeps fireing even when the targeted Mob dies to apply the AOE DMG to all other Mobs correctly, hell it even keeps shooting when all mobs are dead.
Mabye it would help to implement an Action target System, or maybe it would help if you can add some more Options like "Target close Enemies only"; "Target Monsters with low Health" etc.
Anyhow please just look over it and just maybe you can achieve something that would help us all.

Reactions: Wardance

Playtil

Astellian
Sep 26, 2019
If you keep targeting mob far away, stop using tab targeting and use auto-targeting system no?
The auto-targeting cant make you target a mob that is not in combat so you cant aim a mob far away...

I'm heal, so my target is always the tank, and i use auto-targeting to cast my spell on mob. So i dont have to switch target, no problem..
When i want a specific mob, i just tab target. It's ******* precise. When i selec a mob far away, i know i do a mistake due to my bad aiming skill. I do it again, this time, aiming correctly. No problem again.
:unsure: