Roadmap gender unlock

JamesGT

Astellian
Sep 25, 2019
I couldn’t help but notice there wasn’t anything on the roadmap for gender unlocks for the remaining classes. Has this been abandoned

Quizzical

Astellian
Oct 13, 2019
From the roadmap:

"Please Note: this list is not complete, we have focused on sharing details about the new contents that will be released, this does not include cash shop additions & updates, minor weekend events, class balances, gender unlocking, bug fixes etc. "

Dustybshark

Astellian
Nov 3, 2019
They need to be less vague concerning this. While most think this is stupid, I only purchased the game to play male characters. I have heard all the comments that it takes alot of time doing the graphics for males, but there is a ton of content coming out. Also, there was no problem making the female counterparts at launch.

Quizzical

Astellian
Oct 13, 2019
Most likely, they're working on gender unlocks for one class at a time. It's quite a bit of work to make new graphics for all of the different armor sets that still work with all of the animations and whatever character creation settings you pick. That's why games have gender lock in the first place.

I do think that it would be good for them to say which class (or classes) is next, and approximately when we can expect it to be done.

Brakiros

Astellian
Oct 1, 2019
It has been two months and yet to still hear nothing... makes it sound like it was just bait, at least I have no interest in scholar or mage, just need male archers.

Reactions: Evo

Tipsy

Astellian
Sep 22, 2019
Most likely, they're working on gender unlocks for one class at a time. It's quite a bit of work to make new graphics for all of the different armor sets that still work with all of the animations and whatever character creation settings you pick. That's why games have gender lock in the first place.

I do think that it would be good for them to say which class (or classes) is next, and approximately when we can expect it to be done.
Are you bloody kidding me?

The gender unlocking was something that was promised to us BEFORE the game even went into closed beta in the west.

It is something they should've already started working on BEFORE there were even any mention of it here in the west.

As with a lot of other aspects of this game, this is a case of extremely poor managing and QA.

Two months into the game and they still haven't finished the gender unlocks. That is LAZY, especially when you consider the fact that the armor pieces each class can use are extremely limited in numbers, even more so in their designs. Doesn't take long to make armors for an opposite gender when you only have 6-7 different skins to pick from, per class. Again, LAZY..

Other games do it just fine, and i can tell you that the only games that have gender locks are ASIAN MMORPGS, and even then, some Asian MMORPGS haven't got gender locks.

You don't see WoW with gender locks, do you? No. They've been releasing new armor designs and whatnot on a regular basis for years.

I suggest you go learn a bit about game development and check out other games besides Asian MMOs, before you rush to the defense of a lazy developer.

Claiming that all games have gender locks? Get real, sport.. You need to widen your horizon a bit more when it comes to MMORPGS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakiros and Evo

ChromasIV

Astellian
May 24, 2019
Are you bloody kidding me?

The gender unlocking was something that was promised to us BEFORE the game even went into closed beta in the west.

It is something they should've already started working on BEFORE there were even any mention of it here in the west.

As with a lot of other aspects of this game, this is a case of extremely poor managing and QA.

Two months into the game and they still haven't finished the gender unlocks. That is LAZY, especially when you consider the fact that the armor pieces each class can use are extremely limited in numbers, even more so in their designs. Doesn't take long to make armors for an opposite gender when you only have 6-7 different skins to pick from, per class. Again, LAZY..

Other games do it just fine, and i can tell you that the only games that have gender locks are ASIAN MMORPGS, and even then, some Asian MMORPGS haven't got gender locks.

You don't see WoW with gender locks, do you? No. They've been releasing new armor designs and whatnot on a regular basis for years.

I suggest you go learn a bit about game development and check out other games besides Asian MMOs, before you rush to the defense of a lazy developer.

Claiming that all games have gender locks? Get real, sport.. You need to widen your horizon a bit more when it comes to MMORPGS.

This has nothing to do with QA. Management on the other hand, sure they could of given us male/female characters at the start, but what if that meant forgoing on Avalon for another month or two? How many users would of quit game in this case? What if this would of held off legendary dungeons or even item fusion that coming in a couple weeks? Events might have not even been added in.

What i stated above are just some things, you have to look at the whole picture, and we don't know the size of their team. I can only assume they have somewhere from 10-50 people working on Astellia at any given point.

So if it's easy, please take 1 hour, go into Blender since it's free, make a 3d model that looks and feels good in UE3, then launch the game with 100+ people with enough polys that doesn't destroy a min-requirement PC. Don't forget you need some sort of HD rendering too for those with High End PCs.

Also add the animations for each skillset; from what I could tell they redid some animation for their counterparts. Maybe make a male ranger; would love to see one.

Gender locking as we all know is a way of the past. They have delivered content for Q4. In my eyes they have done a ton of work just to get this content released, do i want more? Sure do! Can't wait to see it, but it's not helpful at all to just state other games do it. Everyone knows other games have done it.

So to put this nicely, take a breath. Things will come if we give them proper feedback and time.

Thanks
-CIV

Tridda

Astellian
Oct 11, 2019
game will die before they put effort into gender unlocking sadly 300-500 playerbase NA not enough cash for Play to win. Not even 1 stream ya?

Evo

Astellian
May 24, 2019
This has nothing to do with QA. Management on the other hand, sure they could of given us male/female characters at the start, but what if that meant forgoing on Avalon for another month or two? How many users would of quit game in this case? What if this would of held off legendary dungeons or even item fusion that coming in a couple weeks? Events might have not even been added in.

What i stated above are just some things, you have to look at the whole picture, and we don't know the size of their team. I can only assume they have somewhere from 10-50 people working on Astellia at any given point.

So if it's easy, please take 1 hour, go into Blender since it's free, make a 3d model that looks and feels good in UE3, then launch the game with 100+ people with enough polys that doesn't destroy a min-requirement PC. Don't forget you need some sort of HD rendering too for those with High End PCs.

Also add the animations for each skillset; from what I could tell they redid some animation for their counterparts. Maybe make a male ranger; would love to see one.

Gender locking as we all know is a way of the past. They have delivered content for Q4. In my eyes they have done a ton of work just to get this content released, do i want more? Sure do! Can't wait to see it, but it's not helpful at all to just state other games do it. Everyone knows other games have done it.

So to put this nicely, take a breath. Things will come if we give them proper feedback and time.

Thanks
-CIV
Avalon did not save the game. It even made more people quit.

Gender unlock is something they promised, and it is not on the roadmap. I doubt if we can get it before we quit.

This is not my main concern, but promise is promise. No excuse is allowed.

Reactions: Brakiros

Tipsy

Astellian
Sep 22, 2019
First thing's first. What -you- stated? I didn't know i was replying to you? Or did you change your forum display name? Second. White knighting does no good to any game or developer. It actually hurts the game more than you can ever imagine.

The free version of Blender is horrible. So let's just get that out of the way first, shall we? Ok then..

Also, most developers use Maya for modeling and animations. That said, i don't know what these developers use specifically, so telling me to go into Blender Free version when you don't even know what they use seem a bit pointless.

They don't need to make new models, because they already have the male models at hand. They can use the female skeletons for rigging (assuming you actually know what animation rigging is) which makes it easier with animations and make subtle changes to make them more 'manly' in their animations.

Gender locking as we all know is a way of the past. They have delivered content for Q4.
It is a thing of the past for sure, but some developers still like to hang on to it. Same with the dungeon ticket system/stamina etc.

Q4 content? Hah, no not really. It's a mess, that's what it really is. Sure, they may have listened to feedback, but did they listen to the right kind of feedback and make the right call? Hardly. They did a lot of stuff too late.

Every developer have a roadmap, and it is usually created long before the game ever reaches the public eyes. Why didn't they stick to it? Why promise no gender locks on release and proceed to stalling and delaying it? They should've sorted out that before the game release is all i'm saying.

More specifically yes, management. To my knowledge, Avalon was never supposed to be released at day one to begin with. No gender locks on the other hand, was supposed to be a thing from day one.

While i may not play the game anymore (at least not until they fix the underlying issues, remove the dungeon ticket system and such) i''ll still root for them, but what i won't do, is act like a white knight and tell them that they're doing a great job when the reality is that they need a kick in the rear when they mess up by delaying content etc that should've already been implemented from day one. That's what i mean when i say that white knighting hurts the game more than you can ever imagine.

Reactions: Evo

ChromasIV

Astellian
May 24, 2019
First thing's first. What -you- stated? I didn't know i was replying to you? Or did you change your forum display name? Second. White knighting does no good to any game or developer. It actually hurts the game more than you can ever imagine.

The free version of Blender is horrible. So let's just get that out of the way first, shall we? Ok then..

Also, most developers use Maya for modeling and animations. That said, i don't know what these developers use specifically, so telling me to go into Blender Free version when you don't even know what they use seem a bit pointless.

They don't need to make new models, because they already have the male models at hand. They can use the female skeletons for rigging (assuming you actually know what animation rigging is) which makes it easier with animations and make subtle changes to make them more 'manly' in their animations.

It is a thing of the past for sure, but some developers still like to hang on to it. Same with the dungeon ticket system/stamina etc.

Q4 content? Hah, no not really. It's a mess, that's what it really is. Sure, they may have listened to feedback, but did they listen to the right kind of feedback and make the right call? Hardly. They did a lot of stuff too late.

Every developer have a roadmap, and it is usually created long before the game ever reaches the public eyes. Why didn't they stick to it? Why promise no gender locks on release and proceed to stalling and delaying it? They should've sorted out that before the game release is all i'm saying.

More specifically yes, management. To my knowledge, Avalon was never supposed to be released at day one to begin with. No gender locks on the other hand, was supposed to be a thing from day one.

While i may not play the game anymore (at least not until they fix the underlying issues, remove the dungeon ticket system and such) i''ll still root for them, but what i won't do, is act like a white knight and tell them that they're doing a great job when the reality is that they need a kick in the rear when they mess up by delaying content etc that should've already been implemented from day one. That's what i mean when i say that white knighting hurts the game more than you can ever imagine.
They actually did have 2 classes (sin and warrior) with gender unlocked. So might want to get your facts straight there.
Just for reference: https://www.astellia-mmo.com/news/view/female-warrior-assassin-gameplay-footage

So me trying to tell you to wait and that with a little patience we will have more is a white knight and that I'm hurting the game. What a joke.
You instead want to yell at them for not giving you what they "promised" with gender unlocking. You rather tell them that they've done a **** job and refuse to even play the game that they created until they fix something you deemed a problem.

The game just got released in west but yeah they did stuff late and always incorrect. The same old story and every game that get's released in NA/EU.

I honestly don't even know why i reply to these anymore.

Evo

Astellian
May 24, 2019
They actually did have 2 classes (sin and warrior) with gender unlocked. So might want to get your facts straight there.
Just for reference: https://www.astellia-mmo.com/news/view/female-warrior-assassin-gameplay-footage

So me trying to tell you to wait and that with a little patience we will have more is a white knight and that I'm hurting the game. What a joke.
You instead want to yell at them for not giving you what they "promised" with gender unlocking. You rather tell them that they've done a **** job and refuse to even play the game that they created until they fix something you deemed a problem.

The game just got released in west but yeah they did stuff late and always incorrect. The same old story and every game that get's released in NA/EU.

I honestly don't even know why i reply to these anymore.
This is a joke too. Most of the players are male and they gave us 2 female class. They just satisfied those transgender players and ignored normal players. Gender unlock isnt even on the roadmap. Where is the hope of waiting?
Actually i have no problem the the devs, I hate white knight who is ignoring the truth. You'd better tell me an excuse that is reasonable to break promise.

Lil' Fairy

Astellian
Oct 24, 2019
Hello Evo

This is a joke too. Most of the players are male and they gave us 2 female class.
That is simply not true. I am female and I play Astellia.
According to the statistics are in Germany 50% of the players female. No idea how it is in your country.

Other example:
I have my own board for Japanese anime dolls (girls only) and all members play RPGs, MMOs. So even 100%
( Everything is relative. ) What do you say now? * Giggles *

Best regards,

Lil 'Fairy

SaltySlippers

Astellian
Aug 4, 2019
According to the statistics are in Germany 50% of the players female. No idea how it is in your country.
20+ years ago, males dominated the gaming world with more than 95%. Today, however, it's actually the other way around. Slightly more than half, worldwide, are women. Thanks to various chatrooms and social platforms like Facebook, women discovered how entertaining computers could be, and eventually they found their way into various social games like MMORPGs.

To this day, it puzzles me why the majority of all companies still insist on focusing their market on males only, by making all their games have a male as leading character and the only selectable option. These days I’m playing another game where all characters you can choose from, and even characters you encounter throughout the game, are males with no option to pick female or encounter one, despite that it was planned years ago and despite the company has made quite a bit of money on it so far, but apparently it’s too much work?!

For years, people have literally been screaming at game companies, to get them to include both genders. Of course, some games just can’t support both, due to the story. Tomb Raider, for instance, just wouldn’t feel right without a woman in the leading role. But, had it been me, I would never had said no to 50% of my profit.

Larafey

Astellian
Jun 26, 2019
For years, people have literally been screaming at game companies, to get them to include both genders. Of course, some games just can’t support both, due to the story. Tomb Raider, for instance, just wouldn’t feel right without a woman in the leading role. But, had it been me, I would never had said no to 50% of my profit.
I read an old Comment, where a Dad hacked and modified an Nintendo Cardrige Game with Super Mario turning him into an Her. Yes. He modified the outlook of Mario from Male into Female for his daugther could play the Game how she like it

Quizzical

Astellian
Oct 13, 2019
Hello Evo

That is simply not true. I am female and I play Astellia.

Other example:
I have my own board for Japanese anime dolls (girls only) and all members play RPGs, MMOs. So even 100%
( Everything is relative. ) What do you say now? * Giggles *

Best regards,

Lil 'Fairy
Do you have statistics showing that 50% of the people who play Astellia are female? Or just 50% of "gamers", counting everything from Solitaire to Candy Crush? Because that's really a different market from MMORPGs.