The Astellia Targeting System - How To

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Though it's still "Tab" target based, Astellia has a unique, more complex targeting system. While this can be a very useful system for those who learn how to set it up and use it properly, it's also a source of great frustration and annoyance until is figured out.

I will share what I learned so far. It's already a lot of fun using it, though needs far better visual markings on the targets. It's still doable by looking at the top of the screen UI while targeting or switching targets.

Settings related to Targeting

- Targeting using the Mouse:
moving the cursor over things and clicking with the Left button to select or target, while using Right button to (also) activate
Why like this? Because when you try to select something, you want to be sure that won't be activated: during a tough fight you don't want by mistake activating the Loot menu or similar.
Having left click reserved for just targeting and using right click for action avoids unpleasant situations.
Why use the mouse to target?
Sometimes is the only way to select and activate things, certain items such as destructible traps or objects that are opening a gate in a dungeon, or even gathering, as well opening chests.

AstelliaMouseSettings.jpg

Mouse settings:
Why are these set like this?
Action - just right click
Move - none (don't want to start moving into an AoE while trying to select or activate something, otherwise it's not targeting related so set to what you want)
Select - just left click (this can be reversed with right click, doesn't matter which, just have one that just selects, does nothing else i.e. looting)
Select+Action - same as right click, but some actions may require select as well and this covers those
the rest Camera and "Auto-Adjust" not related, set as you wish

- Targeting using the Keyboard (or similar keys on other hardware):
When too many things are close to each other, will be impossible to select one of them by mouse clicking. Also this is the fastest way, because moving the cursor can be difficult if the system is under heavy load and may not move smoothly. Especially if you set for these targeting actions some of those keys that are within the reach of your fingers. Single key press can be done faster than a Shift+Something (so pick wisely which actions to have the best keys).
Check which key does what (at least to learn it) and change it as you need, so you will be using the closest=fastest keys for what is more important to you. I can't say which keys are these, that depends on the size of your hand and keyboard. Your moves have to be fast and still comfortable, otherwise your skill activation timing will be delayed and your hand will get tired, which again leads to delays or worse.

AstelliaTargetingSettings.jpg

Settings, Targeting section:
These are mostly defaults, but notice Targeting Priority can be based on Distance or Facing Angle, and this one setting is about Targeting using Hotkeys, mouse click targeting works on anything in your visual field only.
The single most important setting related to my tutorial is to set "When Tab targeting, exclude Astels" to Off (default is On)
You need this if you want to be able to easily target your Astel, to heal it during fight or give a buff or something, when mouse select isn't viable option. The "tab" description in this settings is about the secondary tab key, one that is different from the "tab" that targets enemies.

Targeting related Hotkeys settings can be found at:
Settings > Hotkey > Party (notice the last two keys for supporting others, but they don't work outside a party, except the first one that selects you; to heal others outside the party select them using the mouse, that allows to heal them) & Settings > Hotkey > Mark (set keys here if you want to place markings, or use the quickbar versions, these are useful in a party, solo you don't need to mark)
and the most important ones are in Settings > Hotkey > Misc.
Target 1 = this is the Primary Targeting key, works ONLY towards entities that can be damaged (though some objects like some destroyable dungeon traps may require mouse clicking them)
Target 2 = works exactly like the previous key but is limited to ONLY those MARKED entities that can be damaged (marked by you or a party member, solo don't need this)
Target 3 = and this is the "Secondary" Targeting key, targets everything that can be targeted AND can't be damaged: You, your Astel(s), quest NPC's, objects like the Teleport Shrine and so on. If you are solo fighting NPC's, this allows quick and reliable switching the Friendly Targeting, between your character and your Astel(s), making it easy to heal and buff as needed.

Notice how the "Targeting 1" Primary Targeting key and "Targeting 3" Secondary Targeting key do different things, short version is that one works with enemies and the other with friends.

How the Targeting System works and looks

TargetUIsmall.jpg

Friendly targets will have a yellow circle under their feets, while enemies will have a larger red circle and their name will use a bit larger letters placed in square brackets. These things are hard to notice though, most of the times being hidden under various objects and effects. These need a clearer marking above them, similar to the Markers that can be set at Settings > Hotkey > Mark.

What we can still use, are the two Targeting UI windows that appear at the top of the screen. They appear always at the same place:

Slightly left side of the screen top: Secondary or Friendly Targets; that's You, your Astel(s), and your party members (if any), nothing else. These can be selected using the key set at "Target 3" hotkey setting or using the mouse.

Exactly in the center of the screen top: the Primary Target, usually entities that can be damaged.
These targets can be get using the key set at "Target 1" hotkey setting or using the mouse.

What is great is that by looking at the top 2 target UI windows, we can see our current friendly target and out current enemy target. Once we have these right, we can activate both healing and damaging skills, and the game will send them to the right place. "Tab 1" will allow us to select next enemy, and "Tab 3" will allow us to switch between party members, our Astels and ourselves, while still keeping the enemy targeted and activating a damaging or healing skill, based on needs and cooldowns, without the need to switch target from an enemy to a friendly like in other similar games.

Of course, it's not all roses, this center top enemy target UI isn't exactly reserved for the enemies: everything else that can be targeted and is not part of your party such as teleport Shrine, friendly NPC's that can be healed and other Astellians as well will go here, though they can't be damaged, so in those cases a buff or heal goes towards them if activated. All these should've been placed into the left UI instead, being targets activated with the "Tab 3" friendly button.

Just two easy fixes are needed: different and clear graphical markers for both targets, and friendly targets moved to the friendly UI.

Last edited:

Ashandarey

Astellian
Jun 12, 2019
@CM Venecia or any other CM/Moderator

Is it possible such posts to be made sticky or in a separate subforum called Guides or something similar ? Its helpful info and during the CBT2 and the official release will probably have more of these and if they are just normal posts will be hard to find

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
The images are not always showing up, that's why I added them now as Attachments as well (just 3 images, I tried to make them small so are not full screen, 80% quality JPG). Deleted previous images, just attachment left. Let me know if the images still missing, also try right-click on "image missing" icon and open in new tab, could show up there, it's slight bug with the site (had to try 10x times till uploaded them, but somehow worked)

I just want to help, don't have to be credited any way, but I think a Targeting section is needed in the in-game Help aka Wiki as well, though this has to written bit differently for that (a very short version of it)

Reactions: Ashandarey and AOE

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Will add as attachment all 3 here as well:

Mouse Settings

AstelliaMouseSettings.jpg

Targeting Setting

AstelliaTargetingSettings.jpg

Targeting UI Elements

TargetUIsmall.jpg

Reactions: Colmant

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
I'm afraid editing again, every refresh some not showing up while another does, completely random. Just keep refreshing page, though only the 3rd image is essential, I described in great detail what to pick (and why) and from where for the first 2.

Rassell

Astellian
Jun 24, 2019
This was probably my biggest issue with the game, good to know I can tweek the settings :D.

Reactions: Iyo

Xovian

Astellian
May 27, 2019
Took me a bit to get use to as well.
Having the ability to have more than one target ( a friendly and an enemy) is not common.
Once i got use to it, was okay.

My suggestion would be instead of just the name being listed, having an identifier might help on the plate where they reside.
Left plate could be "Friendly Target: So-and-so name here"
Might help people to understand the purpose of the different target plates at a glance.

Lipino

Astellian
Jul 24, 2019
I never touched these settings there and I am used to tab mob. It's maybe just me or idk but I tried on another PC and still the same issue. When I tab target mobs very quickly and try to attack it won't work. It's slow by some miliseconds and I have to wait or tab twice.. very annoying if you are in a fast-paced fighting flow.

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
I never touched these settings there and I am used to tab mob. It's maybe just me or idk but I tried on another PC and still the same issue. When I tab target mobs very quickly and try to attack it won't work. It's slow by some miliseconds and I have to wait or tab twice.. very annoying if you are in a fast-paced fighting flow.
You are saying this based on CBT-2? Could be, I already quit CBT-2 because the lag was beyond acceptable. What you describe is heavy lag, wasn't like that during CBT-1. Maybe you get less lag at some hours. Mine was so bad that the damage wouldn't register, like the mobs were invincible, then my health instantly dropped from over 90% to 0% and died first time ever at level 3, though I played over 30 hours in CBT-1.

Xovian

Astellian
May 27, 2019
@Iyo ,

Just something to try. Get into the game and go into settings and select use the following settings:
Noted several people in world chat saying they had to set it with the Borderless Window Mode for things to act normal.
Using the optimization mode may also help. Something to try if you havent.

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Thanks for trying, but no worries, I'm quite busy anyway, and though I'm advocating for patience, seeing the same UI unchanged, same useless settings and so on makes me very upset. I'm just happy that I can stay away because lag (that's not permanent btw, but me dying in starter zone is just too much). Don't know how will be in September, but if they don't improve the game, I won't play it, despite having the Legendary Package.
Try to have fun and enjoy your time if you can, no game is for everyone.

Lipino

Astellian
Jul 24, 2019
You are saying this based on CBT-2? Could be, I already quit CBT-2 because the lag was beyond acceptable. What you describe is heavy lag, wasn't like that during CBT-1. Maybe you get less lag at some hours. Mine was so bad that the damage wouldn't register, like the mobs were invincible, then my health instantly dropped from over 90% to 0% and died first time ever at level 3, though I played over 30 hours in CBT-1.
No, not just CBT-2 it was the same for me in CBT-1. It just takes a while when it registers the tabbed mob so I can attack.. this is real bad in heavy situations. I tried these target settings above and I see no improvement. I am used to tab instead of mouse click, otherwise it'd be too cumbersome for my style.

I don't know if this is lag in general. Jumping, casting and running works fine. Just tabbing/attacking(first hit) has a delayed performance.

And in the chat same thing. When I press Enter to type in chat -> delayed reaction. When I want to type fast, like for example "beep" the Avalon window pops up since shortcut key is "B" and what I typed in chat is "eep" ...because of the annoying delay.. stupid, I know.

You get what I mean? Is that lag or just bad performance on client side? I am from Europe btw.

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
You get what I mean? Is that lag or just bad performance on client side? I am from Europe btw.
It is lag, but during beta the servers are tested and allowed to go over limits. Hopefully this won't be in the final version or they fix it.

Reactions: CM Venecia

Lemren

Astellian
Jul 26, 2019
Is it possible to target only players in Avalon or switch between hostile opponents without targeting the Astels?

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Is it possible to target only players in Avalon or switch between hostile opponents without targeting the Astels?
Short version: no.

I haven't tested Avalon, CBT-2 is unplayable for me, but I tried doing just that on a healer in PvE (to buff or heal, not to damage) and was not possible to ignore Astels if the setting was set to not ignore. So if you PvP, just set in
Settings > Targeting > When Tab targeting exclude Astels to ON
and when you are in PvE and want to heal your Astels frequently, set same setting to OFF (mouse clicking Astels still work no matter how this setting is set, but when there are many on top of each other it's impossible to select that way)

Currently there is no setting to allow targeting just friendly Astels and ignoring enemy Astels, it's both or neither.

zerXes

Astellian
Aug 24, 2019
No, not just CBT-2 it was the same for me in CBT-1. It just takes a while when it registers the tabbed mob so I can attack.. this is real bad in heavy situations. I tried these target settings above and I see no improvement. I am used to tab instead of mouse click, otherwise it'd be too cumbersome for my style.

I don't know if this is lag in general. Jumping, casting and running works fine. Just tabbing/attacking(first hit) has a delayed performance.

And in the chat same thing. When I press Enter to type in chat -> delayed reaction. When I want to type fast, like for example "beep" the Avalon window pops up since shortcut key is "B" and what I typed in chat is "eep" ...because of the annoying delay.. stupid, I know.

All from Europe have these problems, because of lags. The servers are from US, so a lag is normal. After release the EU Server would be better i think :)

Lipino

Astellian
Jul 24, 2019
All from Europe have these problems, because of lags. The servers are from US, so a lag is normal. After release the EU Server would be better i think :)
Yeah I already figured it is lag for us Europeans. But weird lag though because usually skills/chats/movements are being delayed in all other lagging games I play. But here it seems only the UI and targeting system lags hence my conclusion UI events must be server-side with high latency. I hope the new EU servers will gonna have it fixed otherwise it'd be real bad in the long run D: