The Astellia Targeting System - How To

Deepshadows

Astellian
Sep 14, 2019
I like to play my games by being able to use the mouse to click on my abilities. will this be an option or will i be forced to remember a full keyboard set and abilities? Answer to this question will likely sway me to buy or not buy this game. So if anyone who has played could let me know before launch that be greatly appreciated.

Kristian

Astellian
Sep 8, 2019
Hi! I think i can answer your question. When i was playing the beta i was playing around with the mouse options. I learn that it was possible to make for example, Left mouse click > Interact with NPC, ATTACK TARGT, WALK ETC ETC. Or Right mouse click > Use skill number 3. What i mean with this example is that you can make your mouse do a lot of things even using abilities or clicking on them and activating them like that.

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
I like to play my games by being able to use the mouse to click on my abilities. will this be an option or will i be forced to remember a full keyboard set and abilities?
That was possible during Closed Beta 1, but in order to activate them had to right click on skills in skill bar, instead left click. This was asked in feedback & suggestions, unknown if this option will be included or how soon. So the answer is yes, if you don't mind right click instead left.

While this can be an useful option sometimes, it's still better to use keyboard shortcuts for at least the most important skills, because mouse cursor can be slowed down by CPU lag and will take too long to move over and then activate vital skills (like evade or time critical stun breaks and more).

Taaka

Astellian
Sep 18, 2019
<face palm>

Targeting is a game changer. The EAST has a different ideal on targeting than the WEST (for reference only). The most successful MMO in the world {WEST} uses [TAB], WASD, Mouse Click Left. I may not enjoy myself as much, having to re-train my muscle memory and keyboard use.

Starseeker

Astellian
Sep 9, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the size of the 3 target windows at the top? A lot of the UI windows are adjustable and able to be enlarged, but I haven't figured out how to enlarge this. As the text and debuffs on the target windows is kinda small I would like to be able to enlarge them. Thanks!

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the size of the 3 target windows at the top?
The Targeting UI can't be customized directly.
Still I have an idea.

I don't know if this will work, but you could try resizing the whole UI, in Settings > Accessibility > Accessibility, scroll down in there to get to "Adjust Interface Size" and try different options there (I never tried, but I know those at 4k or similar find it useful)
If this works, but makes the rest larger as well and you want them smaller: just edit the UI the normal way afterwards (the button in top left corner, careful to not click the "Reset" next to it on the right side) and click on every UI item one by one and adjust their size in the UI that pops-up.

Reactions: Starseeker

Starseeker

Astellian
Sep 9, 2019
The Targeting UI can't be customized directly.
Still I have an idea.

I don't know if this will work, but you could try resizing the whole UI, in Settings > Accessibility > Accessibility, scroll down in there to get to "Adjust Interface Size" and try different options there (I never tried, but I know those at 4k or similar find it useful)
If this works, but makes the rest larger as well and you want them smaller: just edit the UI the normal way afterwards (the button in top left corner, careful to not click the "Reset" next to it on the right side) and click on every UI item one by one and adjust their size in the UI that pops-up.

Actually that's not a bad idea since all the other options can be shrank down. I run at a pretty high resolution, and the target windows are laughably small, so small you can't hardly see the name in the target window. I will try it tonight, thanks!

Reactions: Iyo

Starseeker

Astellian
Sep 9, 2019
Actually that's not a bad idea since all the other options can be shrank down. I run at a pretty high resolution, and the target windows are laughably small, so small you can't hardly see the name in the target window. I will try it tonight, thanks!
Tried this last night and it works well...the only real issue is that you also can't move the sub/bonus icons in the upper left so when you increase the u size it over laps with the friendly target window if you go higher than 110%

Xandorai

Astellian
May 27, 2019
Nice write up about the system, but it doesn't change the fact that this is the worst tab target implementation I've ever played (just my opinion). Both options for tab target are poorly done. Choose Distance? You'll be targetting mobs behind you out of sight. Nice. Choose Front (Angle)? You'll be targetting mobs further away from you than those that are close, or targetting mobs that are 80 degress to your side rather than a mob right in front of you. It is just awful.

BecReed

Astellian
Sep 29, 2019
Nice write up about the system, but it doesn't change the fact that this is the worst tab target implementation I've ever played (just my opinion). Both options for tab target are poorly done. Choose Distance? You'll be targetting mobs behind you out of sight. Nice. Choose Front (Angle)? You'll be targetting mobs further away from you than those that are close, or targetting mobs that are 80 degress to your side rather than a mob right in front of you. It is just awful.
Yea I agree. worst ever in any MMO. There's just no logic with the way it targets.
Front(angle) just doesn't work, it's simply broken. still will prefer to target some mob coming up way behind me rather than the mob right in front of me as if I had a crosshair apon him.
Now using the mouse to click doesn't work half the time, I sometimes have to click a mob a few times to get it to register.
Cycling within engaged mobs. Rubbish. It would rather target some mob off to the side once I press Tab and add him into the mix.

I really hope they're improving the way one targets the mob as it's a great game. But I've shouted at my screen a little too much over the tageting mechanics of the game/

Syncronis

Astellian
Oct 27, 2019
Hi, I like to buff and heal people as I go by in while questing/traveling. I notice if I have my Astel targeted when I target another player the buff or heal goes to my Astel instead of the player. I end up have to escape all the way back to clear all targets then selecting the player again I can finally heal or buff them. Is there a options menu change that will adjust this so that what is targeted directly receives the heal or buff? Thanks!

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Hi, I like to buff and heal people as I go by in while questing/traveling. I notice if I have my Astel targeted when I target another player the buff or heal goes to my Astel instead of the player. I end up have to escape all the way back to clear all targets then selecting the player again I can finally heal or buff them. Is there a options menu change that will adjust this so that what is targeted directly receives the heal or buff? Thanks!
In Astellia there are two targeting systems: one for friendlies ( shown top left side) and another for enemies (shown top middle of the screen). These are targeted using different keys. Mouse click can be used to select both, but if something doesn't show up in the targeting UI at the top, then isn't targeted.
You describe having your Astel targeted (I highlighted in blue), then "targeting" a player (highlighted in red) and then the heal or buff still goes to Astel (highlighted with green). In this case the friendly target remained the Astel, you haven't replaced it with the player, that's why the heal or buff went there.
Sometimes the targeting doesn't work, mostly because lag, so you have to try again and again, until shows up at the top of the screen. You don't need to clear targets, just overwrite them, by either pressing again the targeting button(s) or clicking with mouse. I know this can be frustrating, but there's no other way.

If you haven't read already, see a detailed explanation of how targeting works here, including the settings and keys in the first post: https://forum.astellia-mmo.com/threads/the-astellia-targeting-system-how-to.639/
There is no other way, and because the targeting has to be accepted by the server (isn't client side), there are delays. Until the target doesn't show up at top of the screen, keep trying, because isn't targeted until shows up there.

Syncronis

Astellian
Oct 27, 2019
In Astellia there are two targeting systems: one for friendlies ( shown top left side) and another for enemies (shown top middle of the screen). These are targeted using different keys. Mouse click can be used to select both, but if something doesn't show up in the targeting UI at the top, then isn't targeted.
You describe having your Astel targeted (I highlighted in blue), then "targeting" a player (highlighted in red) and then the heal or buff still goes to Astel (highlighted with green). In this case the friendly target remained the Astel, you haven't replaced it with the player, that's why the heal or buff went there.
Sometimes the targeting doesn't work, mostly because lag, so you have to try again and again, until shows up at the top of the screen. You don't need to clear targets, just overwrite them, by either pressing again the targeting button(s) or clicking with mouse. I know this can be frustrating, but there's no other way.

If you haven't read already, see a detailed explanation of how targeting works here, including the settings and keys in the first post: https://forum.astellia-mmo.com/threads/the-astellia-targeting-system-how-to.639/
There is no other way, and because the targeting has to be accepted by the server (isn't client side), there are delays. Until the target doesn't show up at top of the screen, keep trying, because isn't targeted until shows up there.
Ok thank you for your reply, yes that is what I am running into, I hope they offer more configuration options for Astellia. "Le Sigh" well keep working with it, trying to come up with a reliable method to work past the above issue.

Thanks!

Bishopheals

Astellian
Nov 3, 2019
How does one target themselves to heal quicker. Im used to the F1 key to self target and F1 here dees something else.

KatySan89

Astellian
Nov 5, 2019
Your blog is really impressive.Sometimes hard to find site ,because there are so many companies available.A reliable website is "wise essay".All the best to you.