What does Classic MMORPG mean to you?

Xovian

Astellian
May 27, 2019
I've spent some time playing the game during the current CBT, hung out in discord and read a lot of the posts here in the forums.
One thing that I have seen consistently come up is the feedback about something either being boring / repetitive or not unique.
So that got me to thinking, yes I know, i really need to stop doing that. :)

While I'd argue that the Astel system is pretty unique in how it is implemented, the game is touted as a "Classic MMORPG".
So I am curious, what are the players, here in the forums, thoughts on what a "Classic MMORPG" should be, or what do you expect it to have?

For me, I expected several possibilities (both good and bad) as they are typically found in classics:
-Death penalty (was glad Astellia doesn't, always hated them).
-Grind to reach end game of some sort. Whether it be the players level or the gear needed to be end game. Astels, 10 star gonna take awhile...a long while.
-Time wasters, something in the game that just eats your time, but doesn't really do anything. Anyone remember medding in EQ for 3mins+ ?
-Alt itus/twinking, less rampant cause of the amount of time it takes to build up a character. While leveling up to 50 is up for debate depending on who you ask, it isnt anything compared to leveling up the sub-classes that each class eventually will unlock. (which links back to an expected grind).

There's probably many more, but you get the gist, there are some classic elements that aren't there, and thankfully IMO, while those you'd really expect to see are there. To me a lot of that classic style, outside of those with penalties, are one of the things that attracted me to the game in the first place. Something "new", yet also "familiar" is what the game seems to be gunning for. I think from what i am seeing it is achieving that goal.

So what are you expecting when you hear the phrase "Classic MMORPG"? Is Astellia way off base to you in this regard or Is it close or even perfect in your mind? Do you think some changes would make it better for that classic feel?
What does "Classic MMORPG" mean to you?

Misty

Astellian
Jun 25, 2019
For me, when I hear "classic MMO" I think really basic things like:
  • Conventional classes
  • Tab target
  • Dungeons & Raids
  • Grinding
  • Battlegrounds/PvP arenas
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few points here but I mainly think of the basics.
I think that (imho) Astellia meets the "classic" label and that is why so many people relate it to some other MMO they've played before. For my part, the game makes me think of a mashup between BDO, Bless and BnS (which, ironically, I don't consider to be "classic" MMOs). There are pros and cons but I try not to compare it too much (especially during CBT).

So to answer your question, no, I don't think Astellia is too far off in this regard but I also don't think it's perfect. It needs some work in certain areas for sure and we'll be able to see what more comes of it in the next CBT up until release.
I haven't completely formulated my feedback yet so I will keep that for another post. :LOL:

I just really hope this game won't be another Bless and I try to remain optimistic lol.

Reactions: CM Venecia

Xovian

Astellian
May 27, 2019
Oh there's always room for improvement, and "young" games will always need to work on adding content too.
No MMO can avoid the fate of needing those updates and patches, Astellia isn't any different there.

Pandalicious

Astellian
May 31, 2019
I kind of appreciate it that they dont try to create sth fancy and new. Just stick to things the community knows and leave useless things like Housing and marriage away.
Just nice dungeon raiding, worldbosses, classic instanced PvP <3

The only thing I miss is Action Combat

vio

Astellian
May 25, 2019
for me its the leveling system if its to easy to reach cap within 2-3 days, then i feel it needs adjusting. The first mmo I ever played was called secret of the solstice and once you reached level 100 you was lucky to get even 1% after 3hrs of straight grinding wiping the entire map per run. Due to this game whenever i see people complaining about a game being to grindy, i just sit back and shake my head while thinking they have no idea.

Xovian

Astellian
May 27, 2019
@vio ,
Once the sub classes get added/turned on, the player grind starts again, but it isn't the players levels that will take the largest amount of time, 10 Staring an Astel is. Each level progressively takes more and more "points" to unlock. Haven't heard from recent KR players, but towards the begging of this month, even the highest Astels were only 8*. We might be able to say someone got a 9* or 10* by now, but that's still over 6 months after release for someone to do it with. Not to mention the Astel Deck buffs require more than one Astel for the buff, and that's gonna be a long road getting multiples to that level of upgrade.

Will Astellia be the grindy'est (is that a word?) MMO ever? Probably not, but you arent gonna be maxing out a character any time soon.

D'Konen

Astellian
Jun 28, 2019
I think that going to EQ levels is a bit more classic than most people realize.

Also more than they want. Camping for a 36 hour long spawn to have randoms snipe it out from under you was *not* fun-though I enjoyed helping drag corpses for folks with my cleric.

Generally basic classes, dungeons, farming xp/loot, those are all classic enough. At least for me.

I really really don't want falling through the world and losing all your gear from falling in lava because the bard nodded off was not my idea of an ideal game.

Rickjamesyies

Astellian
Jun 25, 2019
When I hear classic in the gaming industry I think of more condensed values in the sense that your character damage values wont be in the hundreds of thousands range and more in the perhaps ~5,000; 10,000 or 20,000 ranges perhaps depending on how the devs see fit, to note I have not looked at any other versions of the game so I can not say how the damage values are for other region launches and progress. Aside from that I think
  • standard dungeon/raiding systems
  • Crafting of some sort which I like how astellia does it, very simple and easy to get into
  • Customization and skill variations Via passives or other forms of customization, in astellia's case the astels and their star jewels provide a bit of customization to how you want to scale the stats they have
  • Gear enhancements might not be as classic compared to other mmorpgs I have played in the past but I am not going to complain about that. Seems like there is a fairly ease of access to enhancing the gear you obtain by dismantling older, less useful and most likely weaker or unwanted gear

FliP

Astellian
Jun 4, 2019
For me, when I hear "classic MMO" I think really basic things like:
  • Conventional classes
  • Tab target
  • Dungeons & Raids
  • Grinding
  • Battlegrounds/PvP arenas
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few points here but I mainly think of the basics.
I think that (imho) Astellia meets the "classic" label and that is why so many people relate it to some other MMO they've played before. For my part, the game makes me think of a mashup between BDO, Bless and BnS (which, ironically, I don't consider to be "classic" MMOs). There are pros and cons but I try not to compare it too much (especially during CBT).

So to answer your question, no, I don't think Astellia is too far off in this regard but I also don't think it's perfect. It needs some work in certain areas for sure and we'll be able to see what more comes of it in the next CBT up until release.
I haven't completely formulated my feedback yet so I will keep that for another post. :LOL:

I just really hope this game won't be another Bless and I try to remain optimistic lol.
This pretty much sums it up.

Although I would have liked it, Classic has nothing to do with new fancy Action Combat and the new gimmick systems that new MMORPGs have.

Alexe

Astellian
Jun 25, 2019
When i hear of classic i think about wow. But since i started playing it a year ago. I would say a tab target/point and click. Interaction with others is a must. Lineage 2 oh memories.

Trox

Astellian
May 24, 2019
I think if you just replaced the word "classic" with "typical" you would get an idea of what most people feels makes a "classic" mmo.

Iyo

Astellian
Jun 5, 2019
Labels mean nothing, since there is no other definition than what each of us want to mean. They are just chains, that won't allow innovation and doing things differently. Old and proven ways are good as placeholders, but that isn't the final destination, it's just the start; all those can be improved and modified to fit into what this game wants to be, even replaced by something that is better.

I don't expect them (or any other devs) to conform to any standards set by others. They just need multiple systems that fits in the vision of this game, that works well and completes each other.