Why isn't there any open world pvp?

Dusklegends

Astellian
Feb 23, 2020
Hey I am pretty new to Astellia and recently leveled a scholar to cap and I have been jumping into duel arenas and avalon as much as possible to get my pvp 'fix', but overall has been really underwhelming. I understand most people wouldn't want to fight while they are afk farming or leveling, which I do understand, but I feel like its important to have that kind of interaction for excitement and reward. So my question is, why hasn't their been any open world pvp opened up to the public? And why does it seem like Astellia has just abandoned the pvp modes? I am not saying that people need to be forced into fighting over farming spots, etc. either, but instead as an optional 'switch' that provides more rewards as incentive. I bet this is something that has probably been discussed extensively but I can't help and feel like the game has a lot of holes when it comes to pvp. My hope is bringing this up provides a push towards filling them. Thanks again!

• Angry
Reactions: Oraqlas and Pirylio

Terra

Astellian
Sep 20, 2019
screw that "incentives" ...

if it's an optional on/off switch WITHOUT added bonus to it i'm totally fine with it
but as soon, as you try to "force" and "push" players into unwanted "action" you'll start to loose them

oh oh ... actually, i have another suggestion ...

go with your suggestion, but put the "incentives" onto the off switch
so that the players who don't constantly seek the disturbance of others gameplay get the bonus ;)

why does this bonuses always have to be tied to pvp in your minds ... can't you tie them to pve too for once ;)

or asked another way around ...
what would you say, if they'd actually do that ... allowing open world pvp with opt-out and giving the players, who opted out and not participate within the pvp you want better rewards ... would feel great, right ?

Reactions: Oraqlas and Pirylio

Dusklegends

Astellian
Feb 23, 2020
Here is the thing though nobody is forcing you to turn it on. The point I was making was that since you are risking being killed there should be incentive to do so. It brings more excitement and interaction in the game so that it doesn't become dull and boring. It is the commonly known idea of risk and reward. It isn't supposed to be a disturbance, but since you view it that way you are welcome to turn it off whenever you want without reaping the rewards and that is the point. Different strokes for different folks, the PVE focused individuals are welcome to leave it off and never touch it again. But, from what I have seen there is plenty of rewards and progression for PVE content there is in fact no gearing or progression from PVP. As a result they have split their own community in half.

Terra

Astellian
Sep 20, 2019
The point I was making was that since you are risking being killed there should be incentive to do so. It brings more excitement and interaction in the game so that it doesn't become dull and boring.
it brings excitement,
but isn't exactly that - in and on itself - not already the "incentive" for interested players, who actually enjoy that type of content to do it ?

Here is the thing though nobody is forcing you to turn it on.
"incentives" in the form of gameplay-progression rewards
[like zender, treasures, free tokens/asper and astel to get faster strong / to progress faster]
these are things, effectively pushing players into it

and while it may be "boring" for you without it,
you shouldn't forget, that there are many, many players, who simply do not enjoy these type of "excitement"

so please don't try, to constantly push players into it

It is the commonly known idea of risk and reward.
also, what kind of "risk" would there be, for someone who actually enjoys these type of content ?

the only risk i'd see would be the loss of farming time during the pvp action ... ok ... i give you that one
simply add the avarage farmed ammount per minute [over the last half hour] during the pvp time

that way you wouldn't loose out on anything and it would be fair, true

[as a side note ... what "risk" does someone constantly on top of the avalon rankings have nowadays ... he gets higher rewards ... but wheres the risk there :) ]

But, from what I have seen there is plenty of rewards and progression for PVE content there is in fact no gearing or progression from PVP.
i agree with you, that it would be a good thing
to offer the players different ways to get something done
and allow the player, to choose, which type of gameplay he enjoys most

but i'd like to throw in another thought :

does PVP content even need a long-therm gear up
(like pve content) [so that the one playing since 10 years wins by default against the newcomer ... not becouse of skill ... but simply, becouse he has higher astels and better gear]

or wouldn't it be better to create the pvp content
a) less kill and more goal based [capture the flags / castle fights / real (seasonal) objectives for the players] and
b) not gear-depandant (like the avalon treasures ... you get them at the start of the week ... during the week (maybe tie the pvp gear to certain acchievable goals) and reset it each week]

a ranking to indicate the last week/month/years of best players ...

wouldn't something like that be better for pvp ...
than to have gear, grinded in hours over hours over hours [with heavy rng-factor ... player A gets 5 star eligos out of box player B 1 star virgo] decide about victory and defeat ? ...

just to than hand out even more rewards to the already strongest,
so that the weaker ones never even get the chance for a fair fight ?

a title like "hey, i killed xyz players in the world" ... or some kind of ranking system ... ok
but don't constantly try to make already strong players even stronger with "incentives" and "rewards"
and don't try to push players into it

Reactions: Pirylio

Dusklegends

Astellian
Feb 23, 2020
I actually like your idea of progression through a balanced system that isn't gear dependent, because you make a fair point I am at a great disadvantage against players who have been geared over the past years or however that already have teir 2 sets and so on. A system that GW2 has implemented for example where everybody is on the same level, where the fight becomes a matter of skill instead of gear. The world PVP was just an idea of how they could implement it, if the player base is that far against it I am not apposed to being locked to duels and such, but I think there should be some type of progression involved allowing hours invested into PVP to be worth it ya know. I also do love PVE content and doing raids in other mmos like WOW and FFXIV I was hoping to be able to progress doing something different, just the rewards from PVP in its current state doesn't make it feel satisfying enough to persue. I guess from there I would ask, is it too much to ask for a shift rewards of pvp towards items that help gear progression? And ask for a rework of PVP to be a battle on equal grounds as to not interfere with the balance of the game?

Last edited:

Pandalicious

Astellian
May 31, 2019
Mimimi PvP gives Zender mimimi.

Look, I'd love PvP to give leggy armor. But it doesnt. Do I cry bc of it? Nope.

Different Rewards for different content. Its good as it is looking at those. We just need more PvP Time now. BESIDES, Zender isnt more progression than armors🤣 And atm you can get max Zender just by PvEing in those way too long peacetimes.

Terra

Astellian
Sep 20, 2019
Different Rewards for different content.
but the rewards should be for the actual content [pvp rewards for pvp content / pve rewards for pve content]
and not the exact opposite of it

BESIDES, Zender isnt more progression than armors🤣
you can buy and trade eq with other players,
show me one single possibility to trade astels ;)

and of course, someone who can run more dungeons [becouse of getting snowballing rewards week after week] does have a higher chance to get good gear faster

most importantly ...
show me a single possibility to get your hands onto stuff like the lootring, nordens favor, more storage capacity or astelskins without entering into unbalanced pvp areas

Pandalicious

Astellian
May 31, 2019
show me a single possibility to get your hands onto stuff like the lootring, nordens favor, more storage capacity or astelskins without entering into unbalanced pvp areas
Its called money. Thats how I did it.
Either play or pay. Thats your choice. But stop the endless cries about PvP. Zender from PvE would boost the no life players even more and cause even more bots/macros from "normal" players.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Terra

Astellian
Sep 20, 2019
Either play or pay. Thats your choice. But stop the endless cries about PvP. Zender from PvE would boost the no life players even more and cause even more bots/macros from "normal" players.
easy solution : get rid of afk-farming

probably more interesting solution :
make it possible, to send astels on expeditions ... so that they bring home loot and rewards [but are unusable during their expedition time] better / rarer astels [lvl/stars/jewels] bring home more loot ... maybe even with the possibility, to throw in dungeon tickets ... so that they finde one or another astel ... (for example usable once every X weeks [for the times when players are on holiday or sick]) ...

the astels themselfs should simply stop doing their stuff, if there was no input from the players for a certain ammount of time ...

or again ... the more interesting solution :
make extremely hard [so killable by players ... but not astels] not aggresive mobs patroul the map in larger groups ...
when astels on agressive ... oooups ... just hit the strong bossmob and gets killed xD ...

we could even allow the players to swoosh into the role of the big bad monsters ...
so like a massive debuff and gear, which is soooo low, that they die by default when getting hit ...
but strong enough to kill an astel or afk farmer who doesn't fight back xD

as for bots/macros ...
they are prohibited and bannable ... please report them to your trusted cm's

Zender from PvE would boost the no life players even more
and about you're point regarding the boost of "no life players" ... i have to ask than

what is avalon in it's current form to you ?

who get's the most boosts out of it again ... the player coming home from work, active for an hour before getting tied up in real life ... or the player who could pvp or pve 24/7 within it ?

isn't it already so, that the "no life players" by default already get these boosts ...
now they're just tied to the pvp parts of the game ... but these boosts do already exist

so what could/would be an easy solution ?

either, to implement several possibilitys to get it and than letting the player choose, which of these rewards he want to take [pve OR pvp] ...

the top 1% of players in pvp earn X zender a week ...
make it possible for the top 1% of players in pve to earn X zender a week
either/or ... the highest reward gets handed out

another possible solution could be to "soft cap" things ...

so instead of making big, massive jumps between rank 1,5,10 and so on ...
you could actually do the exact opposite ... make larger jumps in the rewards for the lower tier ...
and the more someone does, the higher the bar for the next reward get's set ...

e-voilla you suddenly can create a game-mechanics,
allowing everyone to play and progress as much as they want ...
without the possibility, to race too far ahead [like it is currently]

also, dear panda

i never said, that pve'ers should get unlimited ammounts of zender for doing pve
what i said is, that they should have to possibility to get equivalent ammounts of it for the same time investment

Reactions: Oklmq

Terra

Astellian
Sep 20, 2019
Zender from PvE would boost the no life players even more and cause even more bots/macros from "normal" players.
another solution could be,
to not prevent the afk-farming per-se

but to simply adjust the way these points would be distributed ...
for example : only points, when your character performed an action within the last x seconds ...

e-voilla ... people could still afk farm, but the point-issue would be resolved

Reactions: Oklmq